Morgan Stanley's security breached! Thousands of bank account details and passwords stolen! Devastating losses! Every daywe read of more such cases. Today's virus writers are no longer merely pranksters: a number are criminals actively seeking to steal your data, your identity and your money.
We receive a number of computers for repair each week with varying complaints such as:
- It is too slow to use - do I need a new one?
- I cannot look up my favourite websites
- I cannot receive emails ...........
These are all security problems, not hardware or operating program problem. A malware program has been loaded onto the computer.
The great danger in malware programs is that they can be used to transmit your "secure" data to other unknown persons. Once they have your bank user names and passwords they can of course make unauthorised payments using your money.
For theses reasons, you should have the highest level of security available, and every device that is connected to the internet should be protected.
Total security is not possible because there are many brilliant minds constantly working at breaking any security that you may install, but the better your security is the less the probability of catastrophic loss. If you make your computers more secure than others then there is good reason to believe the hackers will choose easier targets.
For many years we used to dismiss the need for security software on Linux and Mac operating systems because of their inherently better security and far fewer well known weaknesses. Whilst Linux and its derivative MAC, because of their structure, are still inherently more secure than other operating systems, there are now known exploits, especially in the modern browser software common to all systems, that need pro active protection.
There are several levels of malware protection.
1. Anti Virus for personal computers: blocks known viruses. Unfortunately this is of limited effectiveness because ever more sophisticated and complex viruses are being generated every day, meaning that there is always a crop of unknown ones out there. The better Anti Virus programs use Heuristic algorithms to detect new viruses.
2. Anti Virus + Anti spam or Anti Virus Plus: covers mail and malware, blocking viruses and unwanted emails. However, these do not provide web site blocking for child protection, identity protection or other purposes.
3. Internet Protection: Comprehensive security products do all the above, plus
* Warn of potentially unsafe sites
* Enable blocking of sites, giving you the ability to control access to internet sites for parental or business control.
We believe that every user needs to ensure his total security.
This means both email and internet security, covering every device you
own which has access to the internet. Whatever you choose should provide
total internet protection for all your devices. Your protection is only
as strong the weakest link. If you're going to invest in security, you
don't leave the front door open! We offer the software suites that will
help you do the job properly, for the best price.
To sum up:
We strongly advise:
* Every device that has connection to the internet should be protected
* The protection should be the best you can organize.
* An integrated suite of reliable programs is preferable to a hit-and-miss set of several unrelated programs, and probably more economical as well as less risky.